Multicorn: writing FDWs in Python
Multicorn is a generic Foreign Data Wrapper which goal is to simplify development of FDWs by writing them in Python.
We will see:
- what is an FDW what Multicorn is trying to solve how to use it, with a brief tour of the FDWs shipping with Multicorn.
- how to write your own FDW in python, including the new 9.5 IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA api.
- the internals: what Multicorn is doing for you behind the scenes, and what it doesn't
After a presentation of FDWs in general, and what the Multicorn extension really is, we will take a look at some of the FDWs bundled with Multicorn.
Then, a complete tour of the Multicorn API will teach you how to write a FDW in python, including the following features:
- using the table definition
- WHERE clauses push-down
- output columns restrictions
- influencing the planner
- writing to a foreign table
- IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA
- ORDER BY clauses pushdown
- transaction management
This will be a hands-on explanation, with code snippets allowing you to build your own FDW in python from scratch.